Moon Machines EP3: Navigation Computer

The following blog will be redacted in bullet points, from a floaty mind, with no actual bullet points.

Uncharted Territory.

Outer Space, but also Software development.

Not a single person had explored space, and not a single person had developed software. I'm pretty sure the term didn't even exist back then.

So, a bunch of engineers and scientists are tasked with putting the man on the moon. Before of the turn of the century no less.

A complicated task, but I mean, they're scientists. They've got this, right?

Interesting bit that of the gyroscopes. A bit of dust can mess the calibration and make one useless.

Perfection was the standard, pretty much.

Something really scary to think of is, we want this "c o m p u t e r" to do a certain thing, so first let's jot the "p r o g r a m" down, test(?) it, and transform it into 1's and 0's that an electronic device will interpret somehow. I think it's like when we fantasize about travelling to the past thinking that we'll be geniuses, only to realize that being a good programmer is useless in the past if you don't know how to translate that into electrical impulses.

I've coded on the ZX Spectrum and thought that was a pain, so I can only imagine how these god-awful punchcard 1 & 0 code must be.

Pretty crazy stuff, eh.

Fortunately, much of the pain that was programming has been dealt with already. I'd still love to program a punchcard calculator, though. What I'm getting at is, we have microprocessors, we have programming languages, it's pretty relaxed now. I can code a game in minutes using high-level languages (Like Gamemaker Language, home sweet home). Back to the ZX, it was either BASIC or ASM, ouch. That's as far back as I can go in terms of coding without having my brain implode.

Comments